23 July 2018

Now Then Whenever

Now Then Whenever - Inspire/ This That Whatever - Art


Does anyone like Dolly Parton?

I love to listen to her speak, not sure why, maybe it is her voice, accent and bubbly-ness?

An article by Gretchen Rubin mentions her intense interest in Dolly......

"What’s on your mind these days? I’m fascinated by the subject of creativity: both how to spark new ideas, and how actually to get work done.

Last week on "Ask Gretchen Rubin Live," my weekly Facebook Show, we talked about the habits that fuel creativity, and viewers had many great observations. For instance, many people commented that nature inspires their creativity, and many people commented clutter detracts from their creativity (certainly true for me).

And of course, different things work for different people. One person said she was inspired by her Instagram feed to be more creative, while another said she was more creative when she spent less time on social media. There’s no one right way, only what works for you.

It’s helpful to ask, “When have I been most creative in the past? What did my habits look like then – and how can I replicate them?” Maybe you work more creatively with a team – or by yourself. Maybe you need deadlines – or maybe you feel strangled by deadlines. Maybe you like working on several projects at once — or you prefer to focus on one project at a time.

I’ve read a lot of advice about how to spark creativity. Everyone’s creativity takes a different form, however, so the advice that works varies from person to person.

For example, I put a lot of pressure on myself to be efficient and productive. One of my struggles, therefore, is to allow myself to spend time on activities that don’t pay off in an obvious, direct way. Creativity often involves play, digression, exploration, experimentation, and failed attempts; it doesn’t always look productive.

For example, I recently allowed myself to indulge a somewhat random but intense interest in the life of Dolly Parton, which led to me to share this story on a recent episode of “A Little Happier.” It sparked an interesting discussion on social media about Dolly Parton and Oprah’s conversation.




But I am in the midst of watching Sky Arts Landscape Artist of the Year and it makes me want to pick up a paintbrush and do the same. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

PinIt